Marcia's poem of the Week 9.15.2023

 

Marcia's Poem of the Week 9-15-2023 ANCHOR OF MY SOUL

 Jonah 2: 1-4 and 6 b-10 Jonah’s Prayer. Our pastor's messages have been helpful. Delving into this one about hope was especially interesting to me. I realize that hope prompts every move in my life. At times when I feel down, or feel dread, or worry about sickness or just facing old age and my declining body, as well as the crazy world we live in, I wonder about the future; and then this four letter word comes to my rescue. HOPE is knowing that my God is a  "Good God." And as the title says He is the Anchor of my Soul.

Scripture reading taken from: Jonah 2: 1-4 and 6 b-10 Jonah’s Prayer “2 Then Jonah prayed to the Lord his God from inside the fish. 2 He said, “I cried out to the Lord in my great trouble, and he answered me. I called to you from the land of the dead,  and Lord, you heard me! 3 You threw me into the ocean depths, and I sank down to the heart of the sea.The mighty waters engulfed me; I was buried beneath your wild and stormy waves. 4 Then I said, ‘O Lord, you have driven me from your presence. Yet I will look once more toward your holy Temple.’ Jonah 6 B “But you, O Lord my God, snatched me from the jaws of death! 7 As my life was slipping away, I remembered the Lord. And my earnest prayer went out to you in your holy Temple. 8 Those who worship false gods turn their backs on all God’s mercies. 9 But I will offer sacrifices to you with songs of praise, and I will fulfill all my vows. For my salvation comes from the Lord alone.” 10 Then the Lord ordered the fish to spit Jonah out onto the beach”.


Hebrews 6:19. 19 This hope is a strong and trustworthy anchor for our souls. It leads us through the curtain into God’s inner sanctuary.

HOPE

Hope gives joy and purpose,
And is dependent on prayer,
If blinded by life's darkness,
God's promise of hope is there.

Hope's purpose is the best kind,
That will spread like seed,
And grows fruits seen in time,
By awaiting its bloom to be.

Hope is nourishing to the bone,
And fixed there by God above,
And offers the sweetest home,
Through the giving of His love.

Know all darkness will shatter,
Under hopes sunshiny view,
For it's God's light that will matter,
Making Joy again brand new.

It's hope that brings forth confidence,
By believing the promises foretold,
And as hope models our obedience,
Hope is the anchor of our soul.

Marcia Riehle 2023


Marcia's poem of the week for great-grandson's Jeremiah, Tobiah and Elijah.  Romans 15:13 NLT: I pray that God the source of hope will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.

HOPE

Hope is not a little thing,
It can help remove strife,
And give you a song to sing,
As it improves and blesses life.

Hope is daily pictured,
For you to see the sun shine.
And a rainy day's considered,
To be hope's power- line.

Hope helps establish the future,
And is the best strategy for success,
As hope makes living sweeter,
With goals, dreams and all the rest.

God's peace fills you with hope,
And His hand of love covers you,
When His goodness is within your scope,
There'll be nothing you cannot do.
 GG 2023

                                                                                                    Emmanuel UMC

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marcia's Poem of the Week 9.03.2021

Marcia's Poem of the Week 9.24.2021

Marcia's Poem of the Week 8.13.2021