Marcia's Poem of the Week

Marcia's Poem of the Week 

Reflecting on Pastor Madigan's last Sunday's sermon from I Kings 18:36-38 & 19:1-4. Learning to trust God in the Valleys and Peaks.

Elijah experienced ups and downs in his service to the Lord. One of those times is found in I Kings 9:1-4. (1) Now Ahab told Jezebel everything Elijah had done and how he had killed all the prophets with the sword. (2) So Jezebel sent a messenger to Elijah to say, "May the gods deal with me, be it ever so severely, if by this time tomorrow I do not make your life like that of one of them." (3) Elijah was afraid and ran for his life. When he came to Beersheba in Judah, he left his servant there, (4) while he himself went a day's journey into the wilderness. He came to a broom bush, sat down under it and prayed that he might die. "I have had enough, LORD," he said. "Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors."

 

VALLEYS AND PEAKS

   I Kings 18:36-38 & 19:1-4


How could I enjoy the beauty of the plain,

And the mountain, and the valley below, 

If I had never walked on any of the same,

Or saw the treetops sway and the rivers flow.

 

And how could I know the heavens boundlessness,

With its stars in space, the sun and sky above,

If I had never seen or felt the awesomeness,

Of the ever-expanding creation thereof.

 

Whatever my life valley or peak is to be,

Whether a blessing, a hardship or a test,

God has His hand ahold of me,

And His goal is to help me choose His best.

 

Like wind and wave my Lord is a mighty force,

Above and beyond all I could imagine or explain,

But yet, His tender heart keeps me on course,

On the mountain peak, in the valley, or the plain.

 

I hope to have faith in whatever happens in a day,

For God turns all things around for my good,

Whereby, valleys and peaks are His perfect way,

Of growing my faith and keeping me secured.

 

Marcia Riehle 2021


                                                                                     image courtesy of Jeralyn Meranda

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marcia's Poem of the Week 9.03.2021

Marcia's Poem of the Week 9.24.2021

Marcia's Poem of the Week 8.13.2021